Staff & Boards
Meet the Team
Bethelhem Tessema, Executive Director
Bread and Water for Africa®‘s mission is very personal to me. As a veteran of our parent organization Christian Relief Services Charities, Inc., I do know the accountability and efficiency of our programs. Having been born and raised in Africa, I know firsthand the struggles that many of Africa’s children face every day. In addition, I know how a little support can make a big long-term impact for many people across Africa. I am also a big advocate for sustainable programs and from my years at Bread and Water for Africa®, I can proudly say that we focus our mission and efforts towards that goal. (Read full bio)
Phyllis Keino, Volunteer Spokesperson and Founder and Director of Lewa Children’s Home and Kipkeino School
Phyllis began caring for orphaned Kenyan children in the early 1960s. Since then she has been a tireless advocate for Africa’s children, founding the Lewa Children’s Home and the Kipkeino School. For the last seven years she has also served as the volunteer spokesperson for Bread and Water Africa®, travelling all over the world to spread the message about our work – she was recently being honored in Canada with the International Alliance for Women (TIAW) World of Difference 100 award for her unwavering commitment to the children of Kenya.
Jos Creemers, Baraka Farm Manager
Dutch farmer Jos Creemers first came to Kenya in 1994 as a volunteer through the VSO programme. He has never looked back. Over the past seventeen years, Jos has turned what was once a barren tract of land into one of the region’s most successful farms and dairy processing facilities. He and Phyllis make up the heart and soul of the Lewa projects and inspire us each and every day with their commitment to improving the lives of those in need in Kenya and across Africa. (Read full bio)
Bethelhem Tessema, Executive Director
African Advisory Board:
Jos Creemers, Baraka Farm Manager, Kenya
Phyllis Keino, RN, Spokesperson, Kenya
Yimer Mohammed, Ethiopia
Mrs. Vimala Sebastian, Kenya
Reverend Francis Mambu, Sierra Leone
Reverend David Natema, Uganda
Angela Miyanda, Zambia
Margaret Makambira, Mozambique / Zimbabwe
Esther H. Ndichafaf, Cameroon
The Bread and Water for Africa® Board of Directors is a supervising entity comprised of volunteer board members who perform the following functions in their respective governance roles.
- Participate in quarterly board meetings and monthly executive governance meetings to keep apprised of Bread and Water for Africa®’s latest developments in programs, financial health, audit status, staff changes, and overall progress in the pursuit of the charity mission.
- Review the Bread and Water for Africa®’s mission and purpose articulating the organization’s goals, means, and primary constituents served.
- Select the chief executive and supporting officers for Bread and Water for Africa® .
- Support and evaluate the performance and compensation of the chief executive and officers.
- Ensures effective planning and generally supervise overall planning process and monitoring the plan’s goals.
- Protects assets through financial oversight by:
- Reviewing and approving the annual budget
- Reviewing financial controls
- Selecting and overseeing independent auditors
- Reviewing annual audit required of all nonprofit organizations
- Reviewing the Form 990 prior to filing with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
- Designating an Audit Committee and Financial Committee to directly supervise the audits and assets and report back to the Board members and organization officers
- Articulate prerequisites for Board candidates, orient new Board members, and periodically and comprehensively evaluate their own performance.
- Set policy and controls to ensure legal and ethical integrity.
- Disclose any personal interests that could rise to conflicts or compromise integrity.
- Annually review and approve Board’s good governance policies including whistleblower policy, conflict of interest policy, and document and destruction policy.
- Review, protect, and set policy in order to enhance the organization’s public standing.
- Perform such other duties and have such other authority and powers as the Board may from time to time prescribe or as the Chairperson may from time to time delegate
Board of Directors:
James J. O’Brien, Esq., Chairman
Clyde B. (CB) Richardson, Treasurer
Robert J. Hisel, Jr.
Emil Her Many Horses
Captain Eric C. Jones
Eugene L. Krizek, Col. USAF (Retired)
Thomas M. (Tom) O’Brien
Reverend Dr. Ketlen A. Solak
Frank Stitely, C.P.A.
Colonel John F. Williams
Bryan L. Krizek, CEO
Paul E. Krizek, Esq., Vice President
Bieu Do, CFO
Nhi Cao, Secretary